UN panel tells Hong Kong to repeal national security law
- UN Human Rights Committee has said that Hong Kong’s national security law should be repealed.
- Law was imposed by Beijing to restore stability after violent anti-government and anti-China protests in 2019.
- UNHRC committee monitors implementation of International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) by state parties.
- It released its findings on Hong Kong after periodic review.
- Urged Hong Kong to repeal national security law and refrain from applying it.
Prelims Take Away
- Location based questions
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR)