The four-day work week might soon be a reality
- Idea of a four-day week against the usual five-day work week has been mooted for decades.
Significance of Shorter Work-Week
- Economically beneficial for employer
- Reduces office costs
- As per Microsoft, 23% dip in electricity costs
- Increases employment in the economy
- Increases worker productivity and well-being
- Gains for women
- Positive step toward gender equality and women’s career progression.
- May push men to take up more unpaid domestic work.
- Ensure work-life balance
Is India Ready for Shorter Work-Weak?
- 60% preferred four-day work week as it will improve employee productivity and well-being.
- Central government is set to roll out new labour codes
- Minimum of 48 hours per week required to work
- Employee will have to work for 12 hours on each working day.
- Not increase productivity as increased per day hours of work demotivate employees.