Rice fields dry up in Italy's risotto heartland as drought lingers on
- Italy is Facing Worst Droughts in 70 years and jeopardized the harvest of Arborio rice.
- Area Affected: The Lomellina rice flats-nestled between the river Po and the Alps.
- Arborio rice: Wide grains of local variety perfect for absorbing the flavors of risotto dishes.
Reasons for Droughts
- Rising temperatures
- Global Warming
- Climate Change
Effects of Droughts
- Lack of rainfall resulted in declare a state of emergency to conserve water
- Drying up of Po and Dora Baltea Rivers: eight times lower than the average seasonal levels
- Discouraged use of irrigating poplars, fruit trees and second crops to give priority to rice.
- Regional Tensions along the river basin and between hydroelectric plants and farmers.
Prelims Take Away
- Rice Crop
- Arborio Rice
- Lomellina Rice Flats
- PO River
- Dora Baltea
- Alps Mountains
- Location Based Questions