- Nearly 2,000 pet and stray dogs in Amravati city were affected by canine parvovirus virus last month with veterinarians cautioning pet owners against a severe outbreak.
- It has affected over 2,000 dogs in Maharashtra’s Amaravati city
- While there is no official data available on the number of deaths, as per the animal rescue organisation’s data, 17 stray dogs died during treatment last month.
About the virus:
- It was discovered in 1967
- It is a serious threat for canines all over the world because it is hard to kill and is shed in large quantities by dogs.
- It is a highly contagious viral disease that can also be life-threatening in puppies and dogs.
- It commonly causes severe illness in young and unvaccinated dogs
- It affects the intestinal tract of canines with puppies being more susceptible.
- Its symptoms are bloody diarrhoea, vomiting, drastic weight loss, dehydration and lethargy
- It has reported a 90 per cent mortality rate.
- It is a resistant virus which easily survives in the environment and anything can be contaminated with it including leaves and grass.
- It spreads through direct contact with an infected dog or by indirect contact with a contaminated object, including the hands and clothing of people who handle infected dogs.
- The dogs can get exposed to the virus every time it sniffs, licks, or consume infected faeces.
- Indirect transmission occurs when a person who has recently been exposed to an infected dog touches the puppy, or when a puppy encounters a contaminated object, like food or water bowl, collars and leashes.
About the cure:
- It has no cure and inoculating a puppy or a dog gives them a fighting chance against the infection.
- The first dose is given at 45 days old and the second 21 days after the first dose.
- To properly protect canines, it is necessary to administer the vaccine to them while they are puppies and then continue to do the same every year.
Safeguard from infection:
- Dogs can be safeguarded from it by not taking them out if they are not fully vaccinated and must be avoided from touching the ground.