Open Source Software Platform
- Github - an open-source software repository service was used to create and share an offensively named app that sexually harassed a women in India.
- The app used pictures of the women stolen from their social media handles and invited “users” to bid for them.
- GitHub has blocked the user, and the Indian Computer Emergency Response System (Cert-In), has been asked to form a high-level committee.
- GitHub is the world’s largest open-source developer community platform where users upload their projects and code for others to view, edit, and tweak.
- The platform uses the software Git created in 2005 by Linus Trovalds.
Open Source Software:
- Open-source software (OSS) is distributed with its source code, making it available for use, modification, and distribution with its original rights.
- Source code is the part of the software that most computer users don’t ever see.
- It’s the code computer programmers manipulate to control how a program or application behaves.
- OSS typically includes a licence that allows programmers to modify the software to best fit their needs and control how the software can be distributed.
- Examples - Linux, Hotmail, Yahoo mail, Mozilla Firefox, VLC media player, SugarCRM, etc.
- Indian Apps- DigiLocker, Aarogya Setu, CoWIN Etc.
Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) is a software licensing model.
- It allows access to software on a subscription basis using external servers.
- As its important feature, SaaS allows each user to access programs via the Internet and ability to customise interface.
- The user need not install the software on his/her computer. The rise of SaaS and cloud-based computing go hand in hand.
Closed Source or Proprietary Software
- Closed source software holds the source code safe and encrypted.
- User can't copy, modify, or delete parts of the code without some type of consequence.
- Operating system of Apple’s iPhones (iOS) is closed source so it cannot be legally modified or reverse engineered
- Google’s Android operating system is open-source, and therefore it is possible for smartphone manufacturers such as Samsung, Xiaomi, OnePlus, etc to modify it for their hardware.
Computer Emergency Response System(Cert-In)
- It is an organisation of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India, with the objective of securing Indian cyberspace.
- It is the nodal agency which deals with cybersecurity threats like hacking and phishing.
- It collects, analyses and disseminates information on cyber incidents, and also issues alerts on cybersecurity incidents.