Nuclear talks between Iran and US reach on an important point
- Talks on reviving a 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers have reached a sensitive and important point
- It was taking shape in Vienna after months of indirect talks to revive the nuclear pact
- The pact was abandoned in 2018 by the U.S. President Donald Trump and sanctions were also reimposed on Iran.
About Iran Nuclear Deal or Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA)
- It was signed between Iran and a coalition of world powers (collectively known as P5 + 1) in 2018
- Its aim was to eliminate Iran’s stockpiles of enriched Uranium and Plutonium which are needed to produce a nuclear weapon
- It limited Tehran's enrichment of uranium to make it harder for it to develop material for nuclear weapons
- It granted more access to International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) inspectors and allowed it to inspect other sites as well.
Reasons for abandoning JCPOA by the US
- Terrorist groups like Hamas and Hezbollah were not persecuted by Iran
- Iran did not curb the development of ballistic missiles
- Iran did not give let IAEA access its nuclear plants
- Iran did not comply with the principles of the deal
Why Iran and US are again on table for negotiations
- Iran’s economy is crumbling due to strict sanctions from west
- Allies of US including India are abandoning trade with Iran
- US is concerned about Iran’s increased efforts to manufacture a nuclear weapon by Uranium enrichment programme
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- It is a organisation under United Nations
- It was founded in 1957 in response to the deep fears and expectations generated by the discoveries and diverse uses of nuclear technology
- It works with its Member States and multiple partners worldwide to promote safe, secure and peaceful use of nuclear technologies
- It is an independent international organisation and it reports annually to the UN General Assembly
Significance of reinforcing of nuclear deal for India
- Removing sanctions would restore India's interest in the Chabahar and Bandar Abbas ports, as well as other regional connectivity projects.
- This would also assist India in neutralising China's footprint in Pakistan's Gwadar port.
- The re-establishment of links between the US and Iran will assist India in obtaining low-cost Iranian oil and ensuring energy security.
- Renegotiation on the nuclear deal is a win-win situation for both sides as it will curb Iran’s quest to develop a nuclear weapon and lifting of sanctions will help to boost Iran’s economy. It will also control the increasing nexus of Iran with China and North Korea. This deal will also help Iran to restart its trade with rest of the world