NITI Aayog launches vernacular innovation programme
- Realising the ambition of empowering innovators and entrepreneurs across the country to invent and progress in their local languages, Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog has launched a first of its kind Vernacular Innovation Program (VIP).
- The VIP program intends to enable innovators and entrepreneurs in India to have access to the innovation ecosystem in 22 scheduled languages by the Government of India.
About Vernacular Innovation Program
- For the capacity building of this program, AIM has identified and will be training a Vernacular Task Force (VTF) in each of the 22 scheduled languages.
- Each of these task forces will comprise vernacular language teachers, subject experts, technical writers, and the leadership of regional Atal Incubation Centers (AICs).
- In addition to this, AIM NITI Aayog is also launching a “train-the-trainer program” where it will collaborate with the Design Department of IIT Delhi.
- Under the program, the Aayog will provide coaching to the VTF in design thinking and entrepreneurship, and the adaptation of these subjects in the 22 languages and cultures.
- To ensure a skilled team of experts, industry mentors will provide design thinking expertise, and CSR sponsors will extend their support to the program.
- The ecosystem will be opened to vernacular innovators after the culmination of the training being provided to the task force (From December 2021 to April 2022).
Significance of program
- Vernacular Innovation Program intends to strengthen the design and innovation capabilities of Indian communities by assisting local entrepreneurs, artisans and innovators to assimilate the knowledge as well as technical materials that AIM will develop in future.
- The programme will assist the country in building a strong local network of design experts and innovation practitioners.
- India may be the first nation in the world to launch such an initiative where an innovation ecosystem catering to 22 languages is being built that also includes English.
- With this programme, AIM intends to create a platform where people have the opportunity to learn and innovate in their native/indegenous language and culture.
- This would further enrich the local, regional, national and global innovation pipelines.