NEP essential to create new India
- In ‘ Pariksha pe Charcha’ interaction, PM said the National Education Policy encourages flexibility and improves learning skills.
- The National Education Policy (NEP), with its emphasis on skills and not just knowledge, is essential to create the new India of the 21st century, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Friday.
Pariksha par Charcha
- It is part of the larger movement - ‘Exam Warriors’ - led by Prime Minister, to create a stress-free atmosphere for youngsters. * It is a movement that is driven by Prime Minister Narendra Modi's efforts to bring together students, parents, teachers and the society to foster an environment where the unique individuality of each child is celebrated, encouraged and allowed to express itself fully.
- Inspiring this movement is the Prime Minister’s pathbreaking, bestselling book 'Exam Warriors'.
- He outlined a refreshing approach to education.
- Knowledge and holistic development of students are given primary importance.
- The Exam Warriors module on NaMo App adds an interactive tech element to the Exam Warriors movement.
- It communicates the core messages of each mantra that the Prime Minister has written in the book 'Exam Warriors'.
- This module is not just for youngsters but also for parents and teachers.
- Everyone can imbibe the mantras and concepts that the Prime Minister wrote in Exam Warriors since each mantra is pictorially represented.
- The module also has thought-provoking but enjoyable activities, that help absorb concepts through practical means.
- This was the fifth edition of ‘ Pariksha pe Charcha’.
National Education Policy, 2020
- The National Education Policy (NEP), 2020 is the first education policy of the 21st century and replaces the thirty- four- year- old National Policy on Education (NPE), 1986. Built on the foundational pillars of Access, Equity, Quality, Affordability, and Accountability, this policy is aligned to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and aims to transform India into a vibrant knowledge society and global knowledge superpower by making both school and college education more holistic, flexible, multidisciplinary, suited to 21st century needs and aimed at bringing out the unique capabilities of each student.
Salient features and Significance of National Education Policy 2020
- Recognising Importance of Formative years: by adopting a 5+3+3+4 model for school education starting at age 3.
- Departure from Silos Mentality: by the breaking of the strict division of arts, commerce and science streams in high school.
- The Confluence of Education and Skills: by the introduction of vocational courses with an internship. This may nudge the vulnerable sections of society to send their children to school.
- Making Education More Inclusive: The policy seeks to leverage the huge potential of online pedagogy and learning methodologies for increasing gross enrolment in higher education.
- Light But Tight Oversight: The policy also seeks to establish a super-regulator for education which will be responsible for standards-setting, funding, accreditation and regulation of higher education India.
- Allowing Foreign Universities: This will lead to an infusion of international perspective and innovation, which will make the Indian education system more efficient and competitive.
- Ending Hindi vs. English Debate: Most crucially, NEP, once and for all, buries the strident Hindi versus English language debate; instead, it emphasises on making mother tongue, local language or the regional language the medium of instruction at least till Grade 5, which is considered the best medium of teaching.
- Hence, It is a progressive shift towards a more scientific approach to education. The prescribed structure will help to cater the ability of the child – stages of cognitive development as well as social and physical awareness. If implemented in its true vision, the new structure can bring India at par with the leading countries of the world.
- Features of NEP 2020
- Pariksha par Charcha movement
Q. Indian education is still inflicted with some colonial aftereffects as seen in the present education system. However, National Education Policy is proving to be a gamechanger in making education a complete Indian innovation. Comment. 250 words