LS passes family courts Bill
- Lok Sabha passed Family Courts’ Amendment Bill, 2022 by voice vote.
About the Bill
- It validates existence of three family courts in Himachal Pradesh and Two in Nagaland with retrospective effect.
- Family courts in Shimla, Dharmashala, and Mandi in Himachal Pradesh will come into force, with a retrospective effect of February 15th 2019.
- The Family Courts located at Dimapur and Kohima in Nagaland will come into force with retrospect effect from November 12th 2008 on enactment of the Bill.
- It seeks validation of decisions taken by two states and the family courts.
- Enactment was necessary as it came to be known that Central Government notifications were not existing w.r.t these five family courts.
Prelims take away
- Family Courts
- Lok sabha - Composition, powers, responsibilities
- Various legislative procedures