Long-range Supersonic Missile Assisted Torpedo
- Giving a major strength to the Indian Navy, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully launched a long-range Supersonic Missile Assisted Torpedo (SMART) off the coast of Balasore in Odisha today.
- The next generation missile-based standoff torpedo delivery system has been developed and designed to give fillip to anti-submarine warfare capability of the Indian Navy.
About Supersonic Missile Assisted Torpedo (SMART)
- Torpedo is a self-propelled underwater explosive device launched above or below the water surface with an explosive warhead to eliminate a target.
- SMART is a missile assisted release of the lightweight Anti-Submarine Torpedo System for Anti-Submarine Warfare or ASW operations far beyond Torpedo range.
- The missile can strike a target far beyond the conventional range of the torpedo.
- The canister-based missile system comprises advanced technologies viz. two stage solid propulsion, precision inertial navigation and electro-mechanical actuators.
- Notably, several DRDO laboratories worked together to develop various technologies for the advanced missile system.
- Further, Industry participation was also there for the development and production of various sub-systems.