Kerala Assembly passes a unanimous resolution on ESZs
- Kerala Assembly passed a resolution urging Centre to exempt the State from declaring eco-sensitive zones (ESZ) of one km around wildlife sanctuaries and national parks.
- It called for legislation that could enable the State to overcome the Supreme Court directive in this regard.
- Inclusion of such areas within notified zones will affect large sections in State where forests constitute nearly 30% of the entire geographical area.
- Western Ghats region in Kerala is spread across 48% of total area.
- State has numerous wetlands and is densely populated and has been witnessing dwindling space for habitation.
Eco-Sensitive Zones (ESZs)
- Eco-Sensitive Zones or Ecologically Fragile Areas are areas within 10 kms around Protected Areas, National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries.
- Notified by MoEFCC under Environment Protection Act 1986.
Prelims take away
- Eco-Sensitive Zones (ESZs)
- Environment Protection Act 1986