India's demography at crossroads: Elderly may outnumber the youth
- India’s demographic dividend is at an inflection point with share of youth population tapering off and share of elderly is expected to surge during 2021-2036.
Youth in India 2022 report
- Populous states of Bihar and UP are expected to see a decline.
- Kerala, TN and Himachal Pradesh will see higher elderly population than youth by 2036.
- Population under 15 years is projected to decline
- Youth population is expected to increase initially but will decline in latter half of 2011-2036 period.
- Greater proportion of youth at present will result in greater proportion of elderly in future.
- Demand for better healthcare facilities and development of welfare schemes/programmes for elderly people.
UN World Population Prospects
- 2023: India is projected to surpass China as world's most populous country.
- A sustained drop in fertility has led to an increased concentration of the population at working ages (between 25 and 64 years).
- This shift in age distribution provides opportunity for accelerated economic growth known as the "demographic dividend".
Prelims Take Away
- Demographic Dividend
- UN World Population Prospects
- Youth in India 2022 report