India-Paraguay discussion on cooperation in cultural & consular matters
- The Third Foreign Office Consultations (FOC) between India and Paraguay were held on 1 December 2021 at Asuncion.
- Both parties evaluated their bilateral connections in detail, including high-level exchanges, commerce and investment, agriculture, health, and pharmaceuticals.
- The two sides also addressed ways to improve collaboration in cultural and consular matters, as well as exchanged views on pandemic management.
Key points from consultations
- Paraguay expressed gratitude to India for sending Made in India Covaxin vaccines in a timely manner to boost its vaccination programme.
- They also praised India’s decision to open a Resident Mission in Asuncion in the near future.
- Both sides agreed to commemorate the 60th anniversary of diplomatic relations in a befitting manner.
- The Paraguayan side also expressed their willingness to commemorate India’s 75th anniversary of independence.
- The two sides also exchanged views on regional developments in South Asia and South America.
- Both sides looked forward to their close coordination at multilateral fora including cooperation at the United Nations.
India-Paraguay Bilateral Relations
- India and Paraguay first established diplomatic ties in 1961.
- India and Paraguay have cordial and amicable relations.
- In March 2006, the Paraguayan Embassy in India was inaugurated.
- Paraguay has Honorary Consulates in Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai,in addition to its embassy in New Delhi.
- India’s exports to Paraguay were valued at USD 161 million, while Paraguay’s exports to India were valued at USD 21 million in the fiscal year 2018-19.
- Soyabean oil accounts for over 90% of the country’s exports to India.
- Other significant export items of Paraguay to India are iron and steel, oils and resinoids and aluminum.
- Iron and steel, plastics, chemicals, cars, and auto parts are among the most common exports from India to Paraguay.
- Paraguayans have a strong appreciation for Indian arts, culture, and heritage.
- They have enthusiastically participated in Indian Food Festivals and all editions of the International Yoga Day to date.
- The International Film Festival of Paraguay has screened Indian films in previous editions. * In March 2019, Vice President Venkaiah Naidu and his counterpart Hugo Vélazquez released commemorative stamps in Asuncion as part of the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi.