‘Gulf countries support India in Prophet controversy’
The recent controversy over the comments on Prophet Muhammed is unlikely to cast a shadow on the upcoming visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the United Arab Emirates.
Briefing by Foreign Secretary
- No need to discuss the prophet issue anymore and almost all Gulf countries have an understanding of India’s position.
- The Prime Minister will visit the UAE on June 28 while returning from Germany, where he will represent India at the G7 summit.
- Visit to the UAE is aimed at conveying condolences on the passing away of the President of UAE, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
Issue of Energy supplies and India’s Position
- The UAE is also important from the point of view of India’s energy requirement as the country is one of the major suppliers of energy to India.
- India has increased purchase of Russian energy as sanctions-hit Moscow has made its energy supplies available to India at a steep discount.
- Trading arrangements that India puts in place with regard to the purchase of crude oil all over the world, is determined purely by the consideration of energy security in India.
- India’s consideration for crude oil purchases is very well understood and it is appreciated all across the countries.
- Energy supplies of India