Govt to start doorstep distribution drive for crop insurance as PMFBY enters 7th year
- Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) enters the seventh year of implementation with the upcoming Kharif season
- A doorstep distribution drive ‘Meri Policy Mere Hath’ will be launched by the government to mark this occasion
About Meri Policy Mere Hath
- It is a doorstep campaign to deliver crop insurance policies to farmers
- Aim: to ensure all farmers are well aware and equipped with all information on their policies, land records, the process of claim and grievance redressal under the PMFBY
- It will be launched in all implementing states in the upcoming Kharif season beginning June.
Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
- It was launched on January 13, 2016
- It is in line with One Nation – One Scheme theme
- It was launched to support production in agriculture by providing an affordable crop insurance product to ensure comprehensive risk cover for crops of farmers against all non-preventable natural risks from pre-sowing to post-harvest stage.
- A uniform maximum premium of only 2 percent of the sum insured is paid by farmers for all Kharif crops and 1.5 per cent for all Rabi crops.
- In case of annual commercial and horticultural crops, the maximum premium to be paid by farmers is upto 5 per cent.
Objectives of PMFBY
- To provide insurance coverage and financial support to the farmers in the event of failure of any of the notified crops as a result of natural calamities, pests & diseases.
- To stabilise the income of farmers to ensure their continuance in farming.
- To encourage farmers to adopt innovative and modern agricultural practises.
- To ensure flow of credit to the agriculture sector.
Risks covered under the scheme
- Yield Losses : Comprehensive risk insurance is provided to cover yield losses due to non-preventable risks, such as Natural Fire and Lightning, Storm, Hailstorm, Cyclone, Typhoon, Tempest, Hurricane, Tornado.
- Post harvest losses: coverage will be available up to a maximum period of 14 days from harvesting for those crops which are kept in “cut & spread” condition to dry in the field.
- Loss from identified localised risks: Loss / damage resulting from occurrence of identified localised risks like hailstorm, landslide, and Inundation affecting isolated farms in the notified area would also be covered.