Govt. scheme helped poor live with dignity
- The Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) has reduced the probability of people consuming less food by 76% and cutting down on the usage of utilities by 75%, Union Finance Minister said, citing an independent study.
About the Study:
- The Minister cited a KPMG study done with German institution Kfw, which confirmed that the PMGKY-announced in 2020 amid the COVID-19 pandemic, yielded good results.
- Assistance under the PMGKY reduced the probability of borrowing money for 67% of all the respondents, So they lived their lives with dignity.
- The government looks at a targeted approach of providing assistance instead of splashing money and takes input from the ground and does so quickly, in a timely and very open manner.
- The Minister also referred to a study by an Indian School of Business professor which linked the Ayushman Bharat scheme
- with a 21% decline in out-of-pocket health expenditure and an 8% fall in the tendency to borrow for emergency health purposes among poor households.
- Citing another study on the Emergency Credit Liquidity Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS), the Minister said-
- loans sanctioned have crossed ₹3.19 lakh crore as of March 2022, and this “hand holding has kept many people afloat during the pandemic”.
- Ayushman Bharat Scheme
- Emergency Credit Liquidity Guarantee Scheme
- Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana