EU to reduce gas use by 15% over threats of supply cuts by Russia
- European Union (EU) members agreed to lower their natural gas use by 15% to prepare for further cuts in gas supply by Moscow.
What to Expect?
- Russian gas company will cut supplies via Nord Stream I pipeline, amidst tensions b/w Russia and EU..
- 40% of EU’s gas came from Russia last year, making it vulnerable to fluctuations in supply.
- Nord Stream I was offline for days, following servicing of a gas turbine.
- Supplies werre restored to 40% of capacity afterwards.
- Europe have accused Moscow of using energy as a weapon, following Europe and the U.S.’s sanctioning of Russia over its attack on Ukraine.
Prelims Take Away
- Nord Stream I and II
- Location Based questions