ECI hosts International Election Visitors Programme 2022
- It is hosted virtually for Election Management Bodies (EMBs) from nearly 32 Countries and four international organizations.
- Over 150 delegates from nearly 32 countries participated in IEVP 2022 through virtual mode.
- India has been hosting the International Election Visitors Programme (IEVP) since the 2012 elections.
- International delegates are invited to visit the Polling stations and see the electoral processes in practice for themselves in person.
- During the Covid pandemic, IEVP in India has not been discontinued and continues to be held in an innovative virtual mode.
- Recorded video shots of the poll activities from the five states were shown to the participants.
- Live streaming of today’s poll activities from polling stations in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- Detailed briefing session of the electoral process.
Elections during COVID pandemic
- Despite COVID-19 pandemic posing several logistical challenges, India yet again conducted elections in five States with 183.4 million electors.
- In view of COVID social distancing norms and reduced number of electors at polling stations, Increase of nearly 31,000 polling stations from previous elections of 2017.
- Special adaptive changes to mitigate the risk of spread of covid-19 and making the polling stations a safe place for the voters.
- Virtual mode of campaigning, stress on total vaccination status, regular interactions with health authorities, helped ECI ensure COVID safe elections.
- Due to challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, three broad objectives:
- Covid safe Elections,
- Hassle-free comfortable voting experience,
- Maximum voter participation.
- The Commission took a graded response keeping a balance between candidates' and parties' right to campaigning and with the evolving COVID-19 situation(ensuring safety of voters and polling personnel).
- The ECIs association with Election Management Bodies across the world provides a platform for exchange of ideas and sharing of experiences, best practices and skills in the field of Electoral Management with various countries.
- The International Election Visitors Programme interactions in India and initiatives learn from each other’s experiences to adopt best practices suited for their specific requirements.