DRDO's cornershot weapon system is at advanced stage of being inducted
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has designed and developed corner-shot weapon system (CSWS).
- It is at an advanced stage of being inducted by the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Jammu and Kashmir police.
About Corner-shot weapon system (CSWS)
- It is a special purpose weapon designed by the Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune.
- It can engage targets located around the corners as the system bends and captures video feed thus saving soldiers from any surprise counter attack
- It is best suited for urban, close quarter situations.
- It has features like day night firing capability, colour display, digital zoom, zeroing facility, hot keys, high power battery along with status display and compliance with JSS 5855 makes it a very potent system for security forces engaged in Counter Insurgency and Counter Terror (CI/CT) operations
- It will be significant in countering terror attacks like 26/11 happened in Mumbai by helping security personnel to locate or flush out terrorists.
- It can be used by Army personnel in Border areas to locate hidden terrorists and save themselves from fatal attacks in counter terrorist operations.
- Such developments are a great push towards “Make in India” and “Atmanirbhar Bharat” and decreasing India’s dependence on other countries for such crucial technologies . It will equip security forces for better operations and thus decreasing fatalities among them due to hidden attacks by terrorists.