DRDO hands over technology of extreme cold clothing system
- Technology for indigenous extreme cold weather clothing system (ECWCS) was handed over to five Indian companies by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- As per the ministry, the extreme ECWCS is required by the Indian Army for its sustained operations in glacier and Himalayan peaks.
- The Army, till recently has been importing extreme cold weather clothing and several Special Clothing and Mountaineering Equipment (SCME) items for the troops deployed in high altitude regions.
Deciphering Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System
- Designed and developed by Defence Institute of Physiology & Allied Sciences (DIPAS), a defence laboratory of DRDO, Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System (ECWS) is modular, three layered clothing system which was evaluated to meet the insulation, waterproofing, strength, lightweight and ergonomically evaluated wearer comfort requirements during combat operations by defence personnels in extreme altitude/weather regions.
- The ECWS has three layer - inner, middle and outer.
- It is important to note that the three layered ECWCS is designed to suitably provide thermal insulation over a temperature of -50 celsius.
- Interestingly, the outer layer of the clothing is reversible for camouflage purposes in both snow bound terrain as well as areas without snow cover.
- The ECWS is made of fabrics and insulation material to meet an approximate cumulative weight of 4.5 kg for all the 03 layers while providing a CLO value ( a value that describes the degree of insulation provided by the clothing) of > 5.5.
- Further, the ECWS’s outer layer and middle layer are water proof while the inner layer has antimicrobial ECWC finish. It is designed in a manner that meets a range of motion requirements for all desired human movements while catering to the ruggedness requirements in mountain terrains.
How will ECWS boost Indian Army’s endeavours in extreme weather?
- Considering the widely fluctuating weather conditions, the ECWS will equip the Indian Army for undertaking continuous operations in glacier and Himalayan peaks. It is noteworthy that India takes care of the highest military battlefield on the earth - Siachen Glacier.
- Besides, the Indian Army till recently, has been importing extreme cold weather clothing and several Special Clothing and Mountaineering Equipment (SCME) items for its personnel deployed in high mountain regions.
- The DRDO designed ECWCS will not only make India self-reliant in manufacturing this clothing system but it will also equip our defence forces to sustain in various ambient climatic conditions in Himalayan regions during different levels of physical activity.