Delhi’s PM2.5 levels worst in the world
- A global analysis found that Indian cities are among the highest in the world while recording PM2.5 emissions.
- Striking difference in Global patterns for exposures to key air pollutants:
- Exposures to PM2.5 pollution tend to be higher in cities located in low- and middle-income countries,
- Highest in populous cities of South East Asia, sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America
- Exposure to NO2 is high across cities in high-income as well as low- and middle-income countries.
- Delhi and Kolkata were ranked first and second in the list of top 10 most polluted cities when PM2.5 levels were compared.
- No Indian city in top 10 or 20 - polluted cities when N02 levels were compared.
- Cities with high NO2 population levels included Moscow, Beijing, Paris, Istanbul and Seoul.
Prelims Take Away
- PM 10
- PM 2.5