Defence minister launched schemes for defence start-ups
- The Defence Minister of India has launched Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) Prime and the sixth Defence India Start-up Challenge (DISC–6) meant to encourage defence start–ups during DefConnect 2.0.
- Aim: to support projects, requiring support beyond ₹1.5 crore up to ₹10 crore, to help the ever-growing start-ups in the sector
- Objective: to provide an opportunity to science and tech professionals to understand futuristic technologies such as AI, Augmented Reality, block-chain and space technologies.
- To provide direct & indirect employment to thousands of skilled and semi–skilled people.
- It is related to Artificial Intelligence (AI), advanced imaging, sensor systems.
Need for the Schemes
- Global Instability: due to:
- COVID-19 pandemic,
- Recent Ukrainian conflict,
- Instability in the Middle East [West Asia] and in Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Ensuring peace and stability in the country: To equip the country in every area to ensure peace and stability, the development of disruptive technology is a key.
Other Government initiatives to promote Defence startups
- DARE to DREAM contest: launched by DRDO
- It is a Pan India Innovation Contest to support startups & innovators to contribute to the Defence ecosystem.
- DRDO specifies various themes and invites innovative ideas under those themes.
- Best ideas are selected and awarded.
- DRDO also supports awarded ideas to realise them into Prototype through TDF scheme
- Technology Development Fund (TDF) Scheme: It is executed by DRDO under ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- The Government has approved TDF Scheme to encourage industries especially MSMEs and Startups to develop various defence technologies.
- The scheme operates in Grants-in-Aid Mode.
- Procedure for ‘Make-II’ category, which is Industry funded, was introduced in DPP-2016 to encourage indigenous development and manufacture of defence equipment.
- It has a number of industry friendly provisions such as relaxation of eligibility criterion, minimal documentation, provision for considering proposals suggested by industry/individual etc.
- Make in India