Chinese ship set to dock in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence has confirmed that Chinese vessel sought clearance to call at southern Hambantota Port in August.
- Vessel will be in Hambantota mainly for replenishment, including fuel.
- There were reports of the vessel involved in space and satellite tracking.
- Sri Lanka said such vessels came periodically from various countries such as India, China, Japan and Australia.
- Analysts are closely watching the development, given the past tensions between Sri Lanka and India especially after SL allowed a Chinese nuclear-powered submarine to dock at its port in 2014.
Prelims take away
- Location based question
- Nuclear-powered submarine