Centre must welcome Chin refugees, Mizoram is already doing so
- Military seize of power in Myanmar and ethnic cleansing by the Tatmandaw has forced lakhs of Myanmarese to seek refuge in neighbouring countries.
- People’s Defence Forces led civil war has further deteoriated the situation.
India on Refugee Influx from Myanmar
- Center has negated to allow refugees from Myanmar
- But, Mizoram has taken in Chin refugees despite MHA advisory.
Rational behind Mizoram’s action
- Mizos and Chins share common history and unique social-political realities
- Share a strong ethnic bond as they come from Zo tribe.
- Bound together by common religion as both form Christian minority
- Mutual empathy and solidarity between Mizos and Chins.
- In 1960s to 1980s, Chin people extended open support to Mizo National Front, fighting for secession from Indian Union.
- During 1988 Mizos helped Chins against repression by Junta.
- India must reach out to restore democracy in Myanmar.
- Centre should help state government to sustain relief work
- Centre should recalibrate its policy toward refugees and their hosts.