Celebrating the unknown, the unsung, and the underappreciated
- Alluri Sitarama Raju was a brave freedom fighter who revolted strongly against British Rule.
- In his honour, his bronze statue is being unveiled by Prime Minister today.
Highlights of his Life
- He believed in armed struggle and fought for the liberation of the tribals.
- He opposed the Madras Forest Act, 1882, which prohibited the tribes from indulging in podu (shift cultivation) and exploited their right to collect minor forest produce.
- He made Adivasi areas of the Visakhapatnam and Godavari districts his home and worked for the education and empowerment of tribal communities.
- He had a deep understanding of the forest terrain and knowledge about the skilful use of tribal war tactics.
- He led the Rampa Rebellion which raged from August 1922 to May 1924.
- He mounted raids for seizing arms and ammunitions from police stations in tribal areas.
- The raids were carried out in broad daylight after serving advance notice.
- His bravery is widely recognised across the nation.