BSF launches Operation Sard Hawa
- Under the operation, the BSF increases the surveillance in the Pakistan border.
- The Operations aims to check the instances of infiltration due to the dense fog cover in the region and increase security on the border areas in Jaisalmer.
- The week-long operation has been launched on 21 January 2021 and will continue till 27 January 2021, keeping in view Republic Day of India.
Approach to Operation Sard Hawa
- This operation has been launched by the BSF ahead of the Republic day.
- Special checkpoints will be set up along the border under Operation Sard Hawa.
- The operation will be into force till January 27, 2021.
- It has been launched to provide an enhanced security in the region in the backdrop of dense fog and the Republic day.
- Under the operation, the BSF will keep eyes on the India’s international border with Pakistan.
- BSF will patrol the region surrounding the border with advanced weapons in the police station, under the operation.
- For this purpose, the number of jawans have been increased.
- For the successful completion of the operation, the BSF will tie up with the intelligence wing of Border Security Force.
- Under the operation, the BSF will also be monitoring the borders through advanced vehicles apart from the foot point trekking.
How is Operation Sard Hawa conducted
- The officers and personnel stay close the border.
- Frequent patrolling are conducted.
- The intelligence wing is kept on active mode during the operation.
- The number of soldiers deployed in the border is increased.
- The soldiers patrol the areas near police stations with advanced weapons.
- Also, the Jawans monitor the border areas in camels, foot point trekking.
- They also check on pedestrian intruders.
About Border Security Force(BSF)
- The Border Security Force of India is the “First line of Defence that protects the Indian Territories at the international borders.
- This force was established in the year 1965 during the Indo-Pakistan war.
- The force is engaged in enhancing the security to reduce the infiltration.
- The force is headed by an officer from Indian Police Service.
- It also assists the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the Indian Army during the counter-insurgency operations.
Why is Operation Sard Hawa Important
- Apart from knowing the details of Operation Sard Hawa for UPSC, it is also necessary to know why this operation is important.
- Operation Sard Hawa is important because it protects the nation from possible infiltration of ill-intentioned persons from the Pakistan border.
- Taking advantage of the fog that is likely to cover interior desert regions in winter, infiltrators pass into India’s borders.
- Hence, the operation is very vital for the security of the nation during the winter months.
- Moreover, this operation is also important so that the sanctity of our Republic Day parade is not compromised. Keeping the parade in Delhi in mind, this operation is carried out with a specialized task force.
- The ceasefire violations have dipped in the borders recently. During such times, the Pakistan army uses proxy wars to attack India.
- Therefore, it is essential for the border security force to stay on high alert. This is why Operation Sard Hawa is important.