355th Birth Anniversary of Sri Guru Gobind Singh
- Guru Gobind Singh Jayanti is celebrated every year to mark the birth anniversary of the tenth Sikh Guru, a spiritual master, warrior, poet and philosopher.
- Also termed as the Prakash Parv of Guru Gobind Singh, the country is observing his 355th birth anniversary on 9 January.
- According to the Nanakshahi calendar of Sikhs, the occasion falls on different dates every year.
Guru Gobind Singh jayanti
- The day is observed in honour and remembrance of the great warrior, poet, philosopher and spiritual master.
- According to Drik Panchang, Guru Gobind Singh Ji was born on Paush Shukla Saptami.
- In 2022, Paush Shukla Saptami Tithi begins at 10:42 am on January 8, 2022, and will end on January 9, 2022, at 11:08 pm.
About Guru Gobind Singh
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji, born as Gobind Rai, was the tenth Sikh Guru, a spiritual leader, warrior, poet and philosopher.
- He formally became the leader and protector of the Sikhs at the age of nine after his father, Guru Tegh Bahadur, the ninth Sikh Guru, was killed by Aurangzeb for refusing to convert to Islam.
- Guru Gobind Ji led the Sikh community through his teachings and philosophy and soon gained historical importance.
- He was responsible for institutionalising the Khalsa, who played a significant role in protecting the Sikhs after his death.
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji declared Guru Granth Sahib as Sikhism's holy scripture in 1708, before his death.
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji was a great warrior.
- He was known for his inclination towards poetry and the philosophies and writings he stood by.
- He refused to answer the Mughal invaders and fought alongside the Khalsa to protect his people.
- Under his guidance, his followers adhered to a strict code.
- His philosophies, writings, and poetry inspire people to this day.