10 Pacific island nations reject China security pact
- China fell short on a bold plan to have 10 Pacific nations endorse a sweeping new agreement covering everything from security to fisheries as some in the region expressed deep concerns.
Chinese plan in the Pacific
- To get the 10 nations to endorse a pre-written agreement as part of a joint communique.
- The nations hadn't endorsed China's plan.
- The proposed multilateral agreement included :
- Plan to train Pacific police officers.
- To collaborate on traditional and non-traditional security and expand law enforcement cooperation.
- Plans to jointly develop a marine plan for fisheries
- To capture the Pacific's lucrative tuna
- To increase cooperation on running the region's internet networks, and set up cultural Confucius Institutes.
- To set up a free trade area with the Pacific nations.
- Plenty of smaller wins: China has signed bilateral agreements with smaller Placific nations
- China's opaque military and financial ambitions in the region
- May further heighten geopolitical tensions and threaten regional stability.
- U.S. Response: Recognized China as a serious threat to global stability than Russia
- May result in US Policy shift
- Pacific region’s geography
- Island Nations